Thursday, December 3, 2015

Spotlight Interview: Allison Trevaskis



Passages Academy Libraries is pleased to introduce our new team members.  First up is Allison Trevaskis who took over the library at Bronx Hope this September.--Jessica Fenster-Sparber

JFS: Can you tell us a little bit about what you were doing before you landed in Bronx Hope's library?

AT:  This is my 8th year with Passages Academy, I have held a lot of different courses along the way such as ELA, Art, Math, Science and Health, but at heart and in practice I am a Physical Educator. 
JFS: What is your favorite kind of text to read? 
AT:  love learning a little something about every topic that impacts or interacts with my life, so I would say my favorite kind of text is Informational, second to the broader category of texts included in Health, Mind & Body.
 
JFS:  Where is your favorite place to read?
 
AT:  My ultimate reading spot is snuggled up in a thick blanket and sitting in a soft recliner.
JFS:  What was your favorite book as a teenager?
 
AT:  The book that got me really into reading as a teenager was J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye, and the book that I most enjoyed learning about how to read for details and deeper meaning and writing was The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver.
 
JFS:  What is your favorite book to share with teenagers at Bronx Hope?
 
AT:  I like to connect students with books on a topic that speaks to them. I feel as though I've won the lottery when I get to know a student and they come back to say they read the entire book I recommended to them!
 
JFS:  What do you like to do for fun when you're not reading?
 
AT:  Outside of reading I spend my time with my nine month old daughter and family.

No comments: