Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spotlight Interview: Barbara Stripling


WG:  What’s your favorite thing to read and your favorite place to read?

Barb:  I read every day.  My favorite type of book to read depends a little on my circumstances at the time.  When I am stressed or too busy, I consume mysteries.  For me, they are the perfect escape literature and I read them very quickly.  I have a number of favorite authors and I read every one of their books when they come out.

I also love to read authors like Jodi Picoult, who writes fiction about important social issues.  I have to take a deep breath before I start one of her novels, because I know it is going to push me to think about hard issues, but once I start reading, I cannot stop.  She brings characters and real human dilemmas to life and I never want her books to end.

I also read nonfiction fairly regularly – biographies, accounts of historical times, even mountaineering.

My favorite place to read is outdoors, perhaps a reflection of my limited access to outdoor reading spaces when I lived in New York City.  I cannot think of a more perfect afternoon than sitting in the woods by a stream with a good book to read.  More realistically, my favorite places to read in New York City were the subway and in bed at night.  I loved my time on the subway every day – my commute to work and back was a treasured hour for reading.  I still read every night before I go to sleep (a dangerous proposition when I am in the middle of a really good mystery).

No comments: